Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tokyo! I'm home!

After a month spent working away at the Hotel La Montagne Furuhata in Hakuba, I finally returned to Tokyo a few days ago. My last post kind of makes it sound awful, and to be honest the beginning was pretty bad. However, as my time there went on things got a lot better, and so I'd like to sum it all up by listing off some of the good things that happened as a direct result of being in Hakuba.

I can now set a table in preparation of breakfast for 20 in under 5 minutes flat

My Japanese has shown noticeable improvement, as shown by several of the juggling members saying "What the hell, you got good at Japanese!" when I got back.

Right now I'm in the best physical shape I've been in since Japan. I think it's a combination of skiing every-other day, eating insanely healthy food for a month, and the fact that functionally the various kinds of work I did all boil down to moving things around all day.

Through much trial and error I have discovered the method to properly skiing, other than just bolting down the hill as fast as possible and praying not to hit a small child.

I made a few friends.

As working progressed it came to be more apparent that my bosses really appreciate the hard work that we put in. At the end of the month they made me a special dinner of my request, plus all of the things they had noticed I liked to eat as a way of saying thank you.

And to wrap it all up: a few pictures of good points for which words don't quite suffice.

There was a crepe shop at the ski slope, and there "special" has pudding, ice-cream, cake, tiramisu,  bananas, chocolate, strawberries and cream. It hurt, but it was delicious.

At one point the snow was really not fit for skiing, so instead I made a friend.

And as always the mountains on the ski slope were gorgeous... 
...but really, they were awesome.