Monday, October 22, 2012

ひさしぶり。。。

It does not take much deductive reasoning to notice that I've been incredibly bad at keeping this blog updated as of late. As I had mentioned in previous posts, I'm starting to settle into life in Tokyo. With that, I've also begun to settle into being fairly busy, which for some reasons always seems to happen...

On that note, there have been several potentially-notable things that have happened over the past couple weeks, which I  think may be best summarized in a picture-caption format. So here we go!

This is Akihabara (秋葉原), an area of Tokyo that is famous for two things: Japanese cartoons, and electronics. I went there with a group of friends and explored some of the shops, gaming centers and an anime-themed cafe in the area. It was a fun experience, but the most surprising thing that day was how incredible two of my friend are at Dance Dance Revolution
This is the juggling store in Tokyo that was recommended to me by the juggling club that I've joined (finally, a city immense enough to actually have a juggling store!). Inside was a mystical wonderland of technicolor, jugglable implements of every shape and size, as well as a friendly guy who helped explain some of the differences between various diabolos. 
...and this is what I actually ended up buying.

This past weekend, I went to see fireworks with an international-student-friendly social club called Niji no Kai. I had heard before coming to Japan that their fireworks were significantly better than those in the US. Let's just say that they definitely meet expectations. This was the last show of the season, and therefore much smaller than during the big festivals in the summer. That being said, it was an hour of nearly continuous fireworks, with a various sub-finales that could have outdone any finale in the states, followed by a Grande finale that illuminated almost all of what I could see at once. Taking pictures was difficult, but here is one example.


I will add that everything is going well here. Things are still going well with my host family, the juggling club is still much fun, I'm still seeing different parts of Tokyo every week. I shall try to be more diligent in updates (but alas, I can make no promises). また今度!